Saturday, January 21, 2012

Just for me..




Over the Holidays, my cousin commissioned me to make a cuff bracelet for her Mother in law.  I had about a 4.5" strip of 18 gauge sterling sheet 1/2" wide left over, and decided to run it through the rolling mill until I could get enough length on it that I could make myself a cuff.  I think it ended up being maybe 21 gauge.  I don't know for sure since I don't have any calipers.  Which, btw are on my to get wish list.  I think they will come in handy especially since I'm processing my own scrap.

Anyway...The last cuff I made myself also had a similar silhouette, which I didn't realize until I thought to try wearing them together.   I guess I just love the scalloped edge!

This one I stamped in a concentric circle using 3 different sized dot stamps, with flowers in the center.  I set three 4mm iolite cabs on there because I love iolite.  It is a gorgeous shade of violet blue. 

The thinner gauge is ok, for me, but I wouldn't sell one that thin.  I've decided to offer it as a made to order item with choice of stone, in 18 gauge sterling.   I have it listed in my online store, but not yet on Etsy.  


I recently made myself a nice pair of sterling earrings too.  I don't often set about making something I know will be mine.  I have pieces in my personal collection that I have made,  but usually because they never sold!  lol  It's kinda nice to treat myself once in awhile.  How about you?  Do you make things just for you? 

4 comments:

  1. I've made one piece specifically for me - a birthday present to myself last year - but usually I may "borrow" necklace or bracelets that I've made for sale for a little while to check that they hang properly and that the clasps work with the design. For a jewellery designer I actually own very little jewellery of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't often make things for myself. But I do have a small collection of rings. Some I have solely made for myself from the start...others were practice pieces I have kept. Love the cuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to wear jewelry with everything...now that I make it, I never wear any. Beautiful cuff Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I like to do test runs on pieces too. I think you almost have to as a good jewelry designer. Sometimes things just don't work, and I'd rather know before I send it out into the world!

    Em, I have lots of practice pieces too! I need to melt those suckers down and start over. It's amazing how crappy some of those pieces were! ;-)

    Sandi, it's so weird! I'm the same. I have to make a concentrated effort to be wearing jewelry when I leave the house. And now I feel like I should be wearing my own jewelry!

    ReplyDelete