Wednesday, January 18, 2012

I did it?

Well, I learned a couple of things today while trying to recycle my silver scrap into sheet.

1. My mapp gas torch doesn't get hot enough to melt 2 ozt of silver and keep it hot enough to pour into an ingot.

2. I have some other options to use the ingot, but I'm not in the mood right now to figure it out. I'm thinking I could use the kiln, or bust out my oxy/propane set up to get the extra heating power.

3. I could have saved myself some $ since I ended up carving a rectangle into an old charcoal block to get the job done.





Before






After :-)

Except for the weird hole in one piece, I'm calling it a success!

Last but not least, I learned this is a very time consuming practice. Now that I know I can do it I will probably do it again when the scrap box gets full again!

1 comment: