Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Engraving day 1

I have a lot of information swirling around my brain regarding hand/hammer engraving. One of the most interesting things I learned is that engraving is the oldest form of art there is. Isn't that fascinating?

The workshop is presented by NC Black, and the instructors Andrea and Les have the most amazing credentials.

It is interesting to come out from under my rock and see what's going on in the real world. I am struck by two prevailing feelings. 1) there are some really amazing artists in the world. Everything I could ever hope to make in comparison is crap. And 2) what the hell do I have to lose by trying? I may never be amazing, but there is much good in being the best that I can be.

I really like their angle. Engraving is a very specialized skill, usually done with very expensive training and equipment. NC Black has developed a way to do engraving for jewelry making that is quite affordable.

It is sort of a mission of theirs to spread the skill of engraving. To keep the skill alive, and I think that is fabulous. I am a history lover, and I loved all their antique examples of engraved pieces. It was sad in a way though because they were all antiques. Almost no modern examples. I would love to carry on this skill in my work.

Today all we did was a little hand engraving, and made numerous lines with the hammer engraving. Tomorrow is learning the art of engraving the curved line.

I will tell you, I see a lot of practicing in my future. But, I find it utterly captivating. And like all metalsmithing techniques I have undertaken, I feel a determination to make it work.

More tomorrow...



2 comments:

  1. They are the best at what they do, and generous, kind teachers to boot: hug Andrea for me :)

    xoxoxo,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I love what you said, "What do I lose by trying"? Whether you'll be good enough for your own standards or not, it's inspiring as an artist to try new techniques in your media if for nothing more than to learn to appreciate the work and skill that goes into it. Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete