Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Conchas-Native Echo



The next in my Concha series, hand stamped copper on sterling silver ear wires. Nearly 2 1/4 inches long they are very lightweight. 

I have named them Native Echo. Did you know that echo was a synonym for imitator? I didn't until today. But I must say that the word echo as it is predominantly defined and its synonym suits my feelings well in creating these earrings.

I feel a strong connection that I can only describe as Native when I hand stamp these conchos. This style is most identified as belonging to the American southwest style of jewelry making. I grew up in Northeast Nevada in a community that had a large Native American community. So for me, when I use the word Native, it encompasses all these things.  Maybe it's just my imagination, but I do hear the native echo when making conchos.  It's a nice place to visit....



P.S. I am fooling around with my blog backgrounds.  I need a face lift, but don't have the time to be fooling around with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment