Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The color reminds me of the rainforest....



It's not like I've actually been there or anything, but the color of this agate druzy makes me think of what I think the rainforest would look like. This beauty covers the green spectrum from a dark green to almost yellow. And the sparkling quartz crystals that have formed on it? Oh, don't get me started. This is one gorgeous stone. Set simply to allow it to take center stage. There is no way this stunner isn't going to get noticed if you have it on.

I'm offering it as a custom sized ring, already in the shop! :)

I also listed this today. It started out as a boo boo, I accidently melted the heart a little, so I figured what the heck? I laid on the heat to see what would come out of it, and I ended up with this really cool texture. It looks like moon craters to me. So I added a little pink tourmaline to femme it up a little, and voila! Now I wonder if I could ever duplicate this awesome texture. Hmmm.....

Well, that's about it for today. I do have one thing that has been on my mind though. It all started when I was filling out the forms to enroll my youngest in kindergarten. When I got to the employment section, I didn't really know what to put. I mean, I spend almost as many hours making findings and jewelry and doing all the stuff that goes along with it as I would at a full time job, so I guess it might be time to start calling it one.

So, I went with self employed. Well then darn it if they didn't want to know what it is I do. And that brings me to the part I can't nail down. Metalsmith? Silversmith? Artist? I went with metalsmith. And I'll tell you why. I play with metal. Mainly silver, but I'm not opposed to working with other metals. I'm still trying to get comfortable with the title.

The one title I don't feel comfortable assigning myself is "artist". The definition is very subjective. For me, I would consider myself an artist if I had some amazing natural talent. Like drawing, or painting, or anything artsy really. While I've always been creative, and enjoyed making things of all sorts, I've never really become a master at anything. And while I have a certain aptitude for creative endeavors, I don't think I have any kind of extraordinary talent in any particular area.

So, there's all that, and something else I've noticed. Please tell me if you guys have noticed it too...... a lot of people I would consider to be "artists" have tattoos! So that's it...... that leaves me out, no tattoos. ;) But seriously, I would feel like such a poser going around calling myself an artist. Maybe it's just my own hang up......

Anyway.....the girls are clamoring for their dinner, so I guess I better go cook! Chicken and dumplings for dinner. Mmmmmmmmm! Have a good night everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I had all kinds of thoughts about your post then you said "Chicken and Dumplings" and my mind went blank! Drool! Lets see if I can regain my thoughts...
    Gorgeous ring!
    I put Silversmith/Jewelry Artist for the first time this week on a school form and, honestly, I held my breath when I did it. Like jumping into a pond..you don't know what to expect!
    I believe you do have artistic talent! The way you compose the bits and pieces in your work to create stunning pieces! You ARE artistic. Those of us on the outside looking in see that!
    ..back to chicken and dumplings...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That agate druzy ring is stunning! I agree with thirtysixten, silversmith/jewelry artist works, your work is artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them both, but green is my favorite color.

    PussDaddy

    ReplyDelete