Thursday, December 8, 2011

When buying handmade goes bad...

I read this interesting blog post this morning on my friend Nancy's blog.  I kinda felt the need to share.   I've been lucky to have only one semi bad experience as a buyer from sellers I've found on Etsy.  And it was a supplier.  Anywho... Beautifully worded Nancy!  We all have personal problems, but when they start effecting your work you need to be professional and shut down business. 

I could never leave a customer hanging like that.  I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.  Letting a situation get out of control like this is bad for the Handmade community.  It feeds directly into the fears of buyers.  "What if I never get what I ordered?"  "What if I pay my hard earned money to this individual and I never hear from them again?"

It reminds me to be thankful to every one of my customers who took a chance on me for the first time.  I'd like to think that after the first transaction with me people realize I am on the up and up.  But guys like this, whose work is gorgeous BTW,  give buying handmade especially online a bad name. 

Such a shame....

3 comments:

  1. OMG. I'm gonna have to blog about him.

    PD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thanks so much for the support. It means a lot to stick my neck out there like that (totally expecting a backlash for naming names) and get instead a positive reaction about this horrible incident. And you are right- it does make you truly appreciate each and every customer you've had!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes! I just looked at his etsy feedback and I am wondering why anyone would buy from him now.
    I agree with you-I would lose sleep if I knew I was handling things like this guy. Must not bother him a bit. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete