Thursday, June 16, 2011

In the absence of focus...

I just mailed off the application and $ for the art show in October. 

And I am totally psyched out....

I've completely lost my focus.

My mind is going in a hundred different directions, looking for a place to settle.

I just don't know what to make.

Well, I have some ideas....

But last year, I spent a lot of time putting together some lovely smithed pieces with stones in sterling.

I also spent a smaller amount of time putting together very simple bead earrings.

I did the best with the earrings, and only sold one piece that I really had to fire up the torch to make. 

It was disheartening to say the least.

But I don't want to complain as I still did better than many of my booth neighbors...

This year, I want to make the most of my time and focus on pieces with low price points.

The problem is, it's much more fun to make statement pieces!

What do you guys think? 

If I'm going to go through the effort, I might as well make stuff that has a chance of selling right?


4 comments:

  1. I struggle with the same thing. I consider my easy-to-do-though-not-very-fulfilling pieces my bread and butter...my money makers. Without them I couldn't do the bigger work.

    Find a good balance. At the very least take advantage of making the most money you can while offering some of your best work.

    While show go-ers may not be able to afford your bigger pieces you might be able to hand out cards, etc. to those who see your amazing larger pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say try to have 5-10x the amount of lower end items vs. the higher priced ones. In theory, the lower priced ones don't take as long to make, right? So spend on day banging some of those out each week, and then let the rest be for working on more complicated projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about spending most of your time on the items that sell the best and for your higher-end items, take them from your Etsy shop. If they don't sell you can always re-list them. No matter which way you go, I am sure you will do very well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls. You are all right of course. Thanks for getting me refocused. I like the 5-10x the amount of the lower priced items Nancy...it gives me a goal!

    ReplyDelete