Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Marketing?

In a recent post, I told you all about the goal I had set for myself to reach 100 sales in my jewelry shop within a year. I had a comment from a follower (hi Lori!) asking me to share my marketing strategies.

I was really quite flattered, and I even had to smile to myself a little. Me? Marketing strategies? Oh, don't get me wrong. When i first joined Etsy, I spent a lot of time reading the forums, the Storque, any advice I could get from anywhere really. I even bought one of those e-files from a seller on Etsy that would give me the magic formula to lots and lots of sales.

I came to the conclusion that all the advice was pretty much the same. Participate in the forums, FaceBook, Twitter, start a blog, re-list your items often. Basically live your life networking.

So, after one whole year, 100 sales in my jewelry shop, and 200 in my supply shop, I feel like a seasoned veteran. Not really. It feels like it has been much, much longer. I am so grateful for all my customers. Every sale does feel great. But, I suppose it is human nature to want more.

I have miles to go in the honing of my craft, and in every aspect of running a teeny tiny business. But, I am encouraged to continue. My primary job is, and always will be, taking care of my family. I am completely blessed to be able to stay home with my kids. But, the older they get, and hopefully more self sufficent, I feel that I must have an occupation. Again, I am blessed that I can work from home in spare moments and when the girls are in school. Maybe one day I'll even make money at it! Lol

So, what is the answer to the question of marketing? Truthfully, I don't know. I can only tell you my take on things, and how they pertain to me. I have a FaceBook page for my business, and it is linked to my Twitter account. I love facebook, but I really only post a few times a week. I like to post links to new listings, or new blog posts. Or sometimes just something that is on my mind, or a fabulous etsy find that I can't resist sharing.

I blog. I really love following blogs, and I enjoy blogging myself. My blog is primarily about business, but I get some other stuff in there too.

I go through waves of thinking I need to be posting in the forums, but truth be told it just really isn't my thing. That and I find it a HUGE time sucker.

Which brings me to what I think the bottom line is. You have to spend time creating and putting out the best product you can. Yes the networking is important, but if what you are putting out there doesn't appeal to the crowd all the networking in the world isn't going to bring you sales.

I read somewhere that the age of the average etsy buyer is around 27. I don't know how accurate that is, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit. I am just beginning to understand who my target audience is. Really, the target audience of all of us who make jewelry....we are looking for women who love jewelry, who don't want to wear something just like what everyone else is wearing, who understand and appreciate quality. Women who understand and appreciate what it means to support an individual and their vision, and not a corporation who shipped in jewelry from overseas.

You must create a product that people want. If you build it, they will come...."marketing" or not :)

1 comment:

  1. Well said. I think most of us are just kind of floating around out there on vessels of duct tape hoping our efforts will keep us afloat. I think what you said is key about the pairing of knowing your audience/ marketing to them and having a good quality product for your brand. Easier said then done though, right? Even people who make a lot of regular sales seem to patch up their vessels with duct tape from time to time.

    ReplyDelete