Monday, August 2, 2010

Falling Leaves

We took the girls to Arkansas for a little getaway. We stayed in Arkadelphia, but traveled to Hot Springs every day. It was nice to have a little vacation, and the girls had a blast. We checked out Lake DeGray, Lake Ouachita, and took the girls to the waterpark at Magic Springs. My husbands sister and her husband own 2 restaurants in Hot Springs. Cafe 1217 which is billed as a "gourmet to go" cafe. They are open only for lunch, but also sell side dishes that can be taken home and reheated. They also own a Mexican restaurant that is right next door called Taco Mamas. Needless to say we had plenty of good food to eat. I am totally having chimichanga withdrawals!

I fired up the torch today for the first time in a week. It felt good, but takes a little time to get back in the swing of things. I was invited to do another show in September, and I am currently fighting full on panic mode. Just thinking of all that needs to be done gets me anxious. I've decided that I am not going to let myself get all stressed out. When the time comes, I'll have what I have, and it will have to do. It just isn't healthy to get myself all worked up, and certainly doesn't make anyone in my family happy!

I read a book while on vacay that I couldn't put down, and I can't stop thinking about it either. It is called Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah. I picked it up at Sam's a while back and realized I hadn't read it yet right before we left for Arkansas. It is an amazingly sad story of a young Chinese girl growing up unloved and unwanted by her wealthy Father and wicked step mother. The cruelty meted out to this poor girl is mind boggling to me. It will be a story that sticks with me for awhile.

I can't believe that it is August already! Time to get ready for back to school.....along with about a hundred other things I need to do. I guess the relaxation we've been enjoying the past couple of months is officially over. My youngest starts kindergarten this year (can I get a woot woot?) :) I've enjoyed the summer, but I am ready to get back to a more productive schedule.

Well, I guess that's about it. I'm hoping to have a few new items to share with you by the end of the week. I picked up some pretty rose quartz cabs in Ark, and some new beads at a local rock shop, so I have plenty to play with! I hope you all have a fabulous week! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds as though you have been busy getting out and about! I am pondering doing a market soon...but am the kind that gets way stressed out too.....Have fun at the bench!

    ReplyDelete